Legislative Assistant I (Sen. Dziedzic) (DFL Caucus)
Reports to: Legislative Support Supervisor
Minimum salary is $39,634 (Salary will be set commensurate with experience)
This position will be onsite in the Minnesota Senate Building and Capitol.
This position is eligible for hybrid telework opportunities throughout the year, subject to change during session.
This position is open to all qualified job seekers.
Applications will be accepted until July 7, 2022, at 4pm.
The Legislative Assistant will assist in daily operations by providing individualized technical and administrative support to an assigned Senator with scheduling, written and oral communication (to constituents, legislators, staff, media, governmental agencies, and lobbyists), constituent casework, legislative tracking, and general support.
An ideal candidate will have interest in taxes, housing finance, public safety, environment, and education. We seek someone who is adaptable to shifting tasks and priorities. The ideal candidate will be highly organized and have strong communication skills.
During Legislative Session this position will be expected to work longer hours with the ability to earn additional paid time off.
View the position description here.
- Manage administrative support and schedule coordination for the Senator's office to provide fluid and comprehensive office services.
- Administer constituent services by collaborating and soliciting expertise from internal and external staff, agencies, and assigned Senator to ensure prompt resolution of casework, oral and written communication to constituents, and collection of resources for the assigned Senator’s office.
- Provide Legislative support to the Senator including support during Floor Session, Committees, and meetings to promote an effective and efficient workplace.
- Manage mail, phones, and e-mail correspondence as directed by the Senator.
- Write letters, memos, reports, forms, and social media content daily.
- Track Senator’s bills daily, submit hearing requests, coordinating witness testimony for committee hearings.
- Conduct research on legislative issues related to Senator’s responsibilities.
- Draft written responses to constituent correspondence.
- Maintain constituent database.
- Daily reading and summarizing of major news sources, including those published in the Senator’s district.
- Organize in a user-friendly manner, Senator’s files including bills introduced, committee hearings preparation, organization, and cities interests in the Senator’s district.
- Attend meetings at the Capitol representing the Senator.
Degree in Political Science, Communications, Public Administration, Social Science, Public Policy, Business Administration, Finance, or related area of study.
One (1) year of experience in state government, finance, policy advocacy, written communication in any field, service in the military, legislative session serving in any capacity, or related.
In addition to the qualifications listed above, applicants must demonstrate:
- Ability to handle sensitive information with tact and diplomacy and maintain confidentiality.
- Strong written and oral communication skills that includes creating memos, research summaries, and newsletters for constituents.
- Exceptional organizational skills to sufficiently manage a Senator’s calendar, email, phone, social media, constituent correspondence, and bill tracking.
- Knowledge and understanding of the legislative process.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel), Google Calendar, Zoom, and other virtual meeting programs and software graphics.
Why work for the Minnesota Senate?
GREAT BENEFITS PACKAGE! Our total rewards package goes above and beyond just a paycheck. Whether you’re looking to build your career, improve your health, or protect your wealth, we offer generous benefits to help you achieve your goals. Learn more about our benefits here.
- Great health, dental, and vision insurance packages to fit your needs to ensure you’re happy and healthy.
- To help protect your financial security, the State of Minnesota offers a variety of life and accident insurance for you and your eligible dependents. Basic life is available to you at no cost.
- Free, confidential help through our Employee Assistance Program (EAP) so you can get the support you need when you need it.
- This position is in Minnesota's great capital city, Saint Paul. We offer employees pre-tax parking and public transit options for a convenient and easy commute to work.
- A progressive PTO policy that empowers our employees to take the time they need to recharge.
- 9 paid holidays per year. In addition to these observed holidays, you will have available 2 personal choice holidays.
- Paid parental leave to help you bond in the important weeks after you bring your child home.
- A pension and deferred compensation plan to help you plan for your future with an impressive employer match that’s all yours!
How to Apply?
Click 'Apply to Position' at the bottom or top right of the page.