Legislative Assistant (Senator Torres Ray) (DFL Caucus)
Reports To: Legislative Support Supervisor
Minimum salary is $39,634 (Salary will be set commensurate with experience)
This position will have telework opportunities.
This position is open to all qualified job seekers.
We strongly encourage applicants who are fluent in English and Spanish (speaking, reading, and writing) to apply.
This job will remain posted until filled. Applications will be reviewed as they are received.
The purpose of this position is to assist in daily operations by providing individualized technical and administrative support to an assigned Senator with scheduling, written and oral communication (to constituents, legislators, staff, media, governmental agencies, and lobbyists), constituent casework, legislative tracking, and general support.
During Legislative Session this position will be expected to work longer hours with the ability to earn additional paid time off. The person must also possess flexibility to changes in scheduling demands, legislative priorities, and other duties as assigned.
- Manage administrative support and schedule coordination for the Senator's office to provide fluid and comprehensive office services.
- Administer constituent services by collaborating and soliciting expertise from internal and external staff, agencies, and assigned Senator to ensure prompt resolution of casework, oral and written communication to constituents, and collection of resources for assigned Senator’s office.
- Provide Legislative support to the Senator including support during Floor Session, Committees, and meetings to promote an effective and efficient workplace.
- Manage mail and e-mail correspondence.
- Compose letters, memos, reports, forms, and social media content.
- Manage the legislative process by coordinating with Senate staff to track Senator’s bills, submit hearing requests, provide information on status to interested parties, and coordinates follow-up meetings.
- Conduct research on legislative issues and for constituent correspondence.
- Maintain constituent database.
Degree in Political Science, Communications, Public Administration, Social Science, Public Policy, Business Administration, or related area of study.
One (1) year of experience as listed below.
Experience should include: One (1) Legislative session serving in any capacity, State Government, Policy Advocacy, Community Organization, Customer Service, Administrative Support, Service in the Military, or related.
- Fluency in English and Spanish (speaking, reading, and writing).
- Experience working with Black, Indigenous, People of Color (BIPOC) communities.
- Knowledge and understanding of the legislative process.
- Exceptional interpersonal communication and organizational skills to sufficiently manage a Senator’s calendar, email, phone, social media, and constituent correspondence.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel), Google Calendar, and Intranet Quorum (IQ).
Why work for the Minnesota Senate?
GREAT BENEFITS PACKAGE! The Minnesota Senate offers a comprehensive benefits package for all full-time, permanent employees including:
- Medical and dental insurance
- Life insurance
- Pension and retirement savings plan
- Long- and short-term disability insurance
- 11 paid holidays per year
- Paid parental leave
- Vacation and sick leave
- Employee Assistant Program (EAP)
How to Apply?
Click "Apply to Position" at the bottom or top right of the page.