Minimum salary is $31,244 (salary will be set commensurate with experience)
This position is open to current or former Minnesota Senate employees.
This position is open until Monday, September 28th at 4:30pm.
Under close supervision by the Assistant Sergeant at Arms, or Sergeant at Arms, the Sergeant position performs a variety of administrative, maintenance and security tasks. Activities may include, but are not limited to, maintaining decorum in the Senate chamber and meeting rooms, providing office services, and distributing documents. Performs other duties as assigned.
- Assist in maintaining decorum in meeting rooms and the Senate chamber.
- Identify and admit authorized people to the Senate floor and committee rooms.
- Assemble and move furniture and rearrange offices as requested.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
High school or college graduate.
- Ability to endure the demands of monitoring and providing security for Senate Hearings and related legislative events that could include demonstrations, large crowds, and unpredictable behavior.
- Knowledge of legislative procedures and chamber protocol.
- Ability to take direction from many individuals, prioritize duties, and complete tasks.
- Ability to assist with office relocation's by moving furniture, which could include, but is not limited to lifting up to 50 pounds or more on occasion, pushing/pulling, bending, kneeling, or crawling.
- Ability to provide deliveries throughout the Capitol and Minnesota Senate Building.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to work an irregular work schedule, including long hours on occasion.
- Ability to work cooperatively with staff, constituents, and lobbyist.
- Ability to work under pressure with legislators, legislative staff, and the general public.