Minority Communications Director (DFL Caucus)
Reports To: Chief of Staff
Minimum salary is $64,346 - $112,450 (Salary will be set commensurate with experience)
This position is open to all qualified job seekers.
Applications will be accepted through October 4, 2021, until 4pm. Applications will be reviewed starting September 27, 2021.
The purpose of this position is to garner a positive, favorable, and consistent media presence that ultimately influences public sentiment for the Minority Leader, Caucus, and their legislative platform across the State through the use of effective reactive and proactive communications strategies.
- Create communication plans and strategies for Caucus Leadership and the Caucus to create consistent, unified, compelling media stories, headlines, and messaging across the state.
- Present communications plans and strategies to Leadership for review and collaboration.
- Advise the Minority Leader, Leadership staff, and Caucus Members on strategic and effective communications.
- Closely collaborate and advise the Minority Leader on creative messaging, innovative communications strategies internally and externally, and create an effective media presence.
- Coordinate media events, press conferences, and press releases for members of the media, Caucus Leadership, and Caucus Members.
- Manage media relations for Caucus Members to build positive media relations, create transparency, and build rapport with members of the media statewide.
- Track media coverage and news cycles for the Minority Leader, Leadership, and media team to compile relevant, noteworthy, or timely news clippings and notes from press conferences.
- Provide weekly internal updates and lead weekly planning for senior Leadership staff, Caucus research, and media staff.
Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, Marketing, or related area of study.
Two (2) years of work experience as listed below.
Experience should include: Media relations, press releases, newspaper columns, publications, social media, or related.
In addition to the qualifications listed above, applicants must demonstrate:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work long hours during Legislative Session and meet tight and changing deadlines.
- Relevant Legislative experience.
- Experience with social media and other communication tools.
- Political astuteness and familiarity with all phases of print and electronic journalism.
- Ability to relate well with the public and deal with a variety of complex and confidential tasks.
- Ability to create effective working relationships with Legislators, Legislative staff, Executive Branch personnel, media personnel, lobbyists, and the public.
- Ability to exercise good judgment in handling situations.
Why work for the Minnesota Senate?
GREAT BENEFITS PACKAGE! The Minnesota Senate offers a comprehensive benefits package for all full-time, permanent employees including:
- Medical and dental insurance
- Life insurance
- Pension and retirement savings plan
- Long- and short-term disability insurance
- 11 paid holidays per year
- Paid parental leave
- Vacation and sick leave
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
How to Apply?
Click "Apply to Position" at the bottom or top right of the page.