Director of Media and Communications (Director of Media Relations) (DFL Caucus)
Reports To: Minority Chief of Staff
This position is open to all qualified job seekers.
This position will be open until filled.
The Director of Media and Communications leads the strategic communications efforts for the caucus. It does so by garnering a positive, favorable, and consistent media presence that influences public sentiment in support of the caucus, its leader and its legislative platform across the state. This position serves as a spokesperson for the caucus and manages relationships with the press. It also provides leadership, guidance, and supervision for the Minority Senate’s Media staff as they support the caucus and individual members with press needs, social media, video, podcasts, radio, graphics, and caucus messaging.
- Create and implement communications plans and strategies for Caucus Leadership and/or the Caucus to create consistent, unified, compelling and effective media stories, headlines, and messaging across the state.
- Manage all aspects of media relationships for caucus members.
- Provide general advice and support to Minnesota Senate leaders, Chief of Staff, and other members of the caucus to give advice and guidance on all substantive, political, and media related questions and concerns.
- Arrange press coverage of caucus activities and positions on issues.
- Serve as a Writer/Communications Specialist for leadership Senators to produce press releases, statements, columns, letters, field press requests, explain legislation, policies and issues to the public, news media, and other interested parties in both oral and written format, and week in review videos.
- Manage Media Staff to ensure they have adequate resources, direction, and supervision when serving Minority Senator's media needs, while identifying tasks, assigning responsibilities, monitoring progress on projects, and ensuring completion of projects within deadlines.
- Interview, hire, train, and evaluate the performance of staff.
Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, Political Science, or related area of study AND Five (5) years of related work experience in communication, media relations, press releases, newspaper columns, publications, social media, or related.
Demonstrated ability to exercise supervisory responsibilities with a diverse partisan media staff.
- Ability to create and implement communication strategies.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to succeed in a fast-moving, high-pressure environment.
- Ability to explain complex policies and issues to the public, news media, and other interested parties in writing and orally.
- Possess effective working relationships with Legislators, Legislative staff, Executive Branch personnel, media personnel, lobbyists, and the public.
- Demonstrated ability to help develop effective courses of action to meet the substantive and political objectives of the Minnesota Senate leaders and party caucus.
Why work for the Minnesota Senate?
GREAT BENEFITS PACKAGE! The Minnesota Senate offers a comprehensive benefits package for all full-time, permanent employees including:
- Medical and dental insurance
- Life insurance
- Pension and retirement savings plan
- Long- and short-term disability insurance
- 13 paid holidays per year
- Paid parental leave
- Vacation and sick leave
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Eligibility for Compensatory Time
How to Apply?
Click "Apply to Position" at the bottom or top right of the page.